Monday, October 11, 2010

no more Circle.

"The Circle" started at the beginning of senior year of college, by my good friend BKE and I. The concept is fairly simple, we attended a large state university with an undergraduate population of 24,741, according to Forbes Magazine in 2010. So like, everyone should not know eachother. You pass numerous nameless faces on campus each day, and you do not know them. You will never know them.

So how exactly did everyone we dated, knew, met, etc. know everyone else. It all started when I met a seemingly random guy one Thursday at Free Fun, you KNOW what I am talking about, and it turned out not only did he know a friend of a friend (who I am now friends with) from his high school, he also lived with four brothers of a frat in a house I was at every weekend sophomore year. The more and more we met people, we realized everyone was "in the circle." How did we get out of this circle?

Well the feeling of "circle" had subsided since graduating. I met people at work that I did not know from State, met people from other universities, they may have known people, but not to that creepy degree of roomatedom. Unfortunately for me, the Circle resurfaced this weekend. I have been dating someone who has, without a doubt, always been in "The Circle." We've known eachother since the first week of freshman year, our Greek chapters did everything together (I kind of started that...) and at this point it's one of those things where I've never not known him. I have to say though, I apparently didn't know everything about him. So we got to talking this weekend about college, and he mentioned that a couple years of his career were spent on the rugby team. (Some of you will not need an explanation) Basically he knew an ex boyfriend of mine, and his friends, fairly well from being on the team with them. In five seconds I realized my world was entirely too small, and I kind of (really, legitimately) wanted to vomit.

So here it is, my solution to this problem. I will date people exclusively that did not go to NC State. I cannot, because apparently we all know everyone. The nameless, faceless people on campus are clearly all mirages, and do not exist. I will not date people who, even nationally, were in the same organizations that exes were in. They all probably know each other. The nation is too small. I will also date nobody younger than 25. That's mostly a maturity thing, but also that is breaking the previous age range of people I know. If there are older people, it decreases the chance of them being in the Circle. Maybe also if I seek out people from the north.

I guess relocation is also an option.

No comments:

Post a Comment