Friday, October 22, 2010

Dear Lindsay Lohan


(Vanity Fair)

I really am not sure why, but I really am holding out hope for Lindsay Lohan. I just have to take a moment to share my thoughts.

I have talked to several people who are about my age, and tried to figure out why Lindsay kind of means a lot to us. It's more or less the older crowd, or the men who say, "I just wish that mess would go away." Most young women I have spoken to recently about her feel very much the same way that I do, we want her to make a comeback, we like her, she intrigues us, we just want to see her act right for once and stop fucking up. I am one of those who would really like to see her prove her naysayers wrong, go to rehab, get out, and come out being some sort of success a la Robert Downey Jr. Ever since she broke on the scene in the Parent Trap, I could identify with her. She would be my really cool friend in school or something. She just seemed so normal. I think the fact that she grew up on Long Island helped, she was relatively local.
As she grew up in our generation, she was just exposed to everything that we all would probably have been exposed to at the same time if we were in her situation. I feel like Lindsay is really who most of us would have ended up being if we were exposed to such things, if we were the ones in Hollywood doing that at that time. It at least makes me wonder if, faced with all of the same circumstances, how I would have turned out. She also always played a character that we could all see ourselves being, we could identify with all of her movies. It was kind of intriguing to see her go out and party with Paris and Nicole, and get skinny and super fashionable. Then the whole crime thing started, the upskirt/no panty flashing, and she started getting to be a hot mess. The whole Samantha Ronson thing too...random.

We are now at the point where we have seen she just blatantly understand our system of justice, and cries in court when really, she could be getting a worse sentence. And everyone seems to know as well as she does that we will not serve the whole time. I just want to see her, this time, being less of a hot mess. Like go chill at Betty Ford, get your life together. Ignore your dad, he's terrible. I really would like to see either a full force comeback, or her to fall into civilian life and mysteriously show up as a soccer mom somewhere in a few years.

You do you Lindsay, and get back in the game.

2 comments:

  1. My thoughts exactly! I also adore this pic of her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the whole VF feature, it was well done.

    ReplyDelete