Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Blanche Devereaux


As many of you have probably heard, in passing at least, Rue McClanahan who had played Blanche Devereaux on The Golden Girls passed away last week. I feel like every time a celeb passes now, I feel older. These people were actually part of my life, part of the movies and shows I watch, the music I listened to and grew up with.

But let me just take a moment to talk about Blanche and me, and why she will be so missed. I was introduced to the Girls most recently by a good gay friend I had worked with, and he just randomly started calling me Blanche. It was mostly because at the time I was like a serial dater, and I always wore pearls at work. He said I was a "proper southern woman with a wild side." Truth. Thus I just kind of took it on, I identified with Blanche to some degree. I named my Tumblr after Blanche. Most recently I also decided to introduce myself to strangers in bars as Blanche, just to see how well it went. I will have to explain the art of fake names at bars and what exactly prompted all that later on...

Although I truly do not have a favorite Golden Girl, I do appreciate the character and humor of Blanche Devereaux, and everything she means to all of us women with a bit of charm, sassiness, and a wild side. My wild side will never be quite like her's, however I can assure you, I will appreciate Rue for creating Blanche for many years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment